10 Benefits of Lemon
Lemon is one of the most popular and versatile citrus fruit. Its popularity is owed to it’s refreshing flavor and scent making it a popular choice for flavoring many recipes and perfumes. Lemon is also widely used in all sorts of drinks from teas and cocktails to juices. Along with its obvious use as a flavor, lemon since long has also been used for its medicinal value. A rich source of vitamin C, lemon possess immense health benefits ranging from its antibacterial and antiviral properties to its immune boosting abilities. One of the most common ways to reap the health benefits of lemon is by juicing it.
Lemon juice acts as a digestive and a detoxifying agent and helps in cleaning the liver leading to better digestive health.
Health Benefits of Lemon
- Hair Loss: Lemon when mixed with coconut oil is beneficial in treating hair loss. You can make a paste by combining equal quantities of crushed lemon seeds and black pepper; or lemon and vinegar. Apply it on your scalp for 10 minutes and then rinse off. This will prevent hair loss. Massaging your scalp with a mixture of egg and lemon juice can also strengthen your hair roots.
- Lice Treatment: Lemon juice, when mixed with garlic or almond paste, acts a natural remedy to get rid of hair lice. All you need to do is apply this mixture on your scalp and wash off after half an hour. This will kill the lice and loosen them from the scalp, which can be later combed away.
- Natural Highlighter: Freshly squeezed lemon juice is a great bleaching agent and hence, offers a natural way to lighten your hair without any side effects. Just wash your hair, pat them dry and apply lemon juice on the sections of hair you want to highlight.Freshly squeezed lemon juice is a great bleaching agent and hence, offers a natural way to lighten your hair without any side effects. Just wash your hair, pat them dry and apply lemon juice on the sections of hair you want to highlight.
- Dandruff: Lemon is a great natural remedy for dandruff. Application of lemon juice on the scalp can help fight dandruff and also prevent its recurrence.
- Acne and Blackheads: The anti-bacterial properties of lemon make it effective for curing acne and blackheads. You can dilute some lemon juice extract in water and apply it on the affected area with a cotton swab. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash off with cold water. This will help in healing the acne as well as reducing the frequency and severity of blackheads. Apart from this, having a glass of lemon water with honey will cleanse your system, thus preventing acne and breakouts.
- Chapped Lips: Lemon acts as an exfoliant to smoothen chapped lips. All you need to do is rub the lemon rind on your pucker and wash off the next morning. Lemon juice can removes dead skin cells, thus facilitating smooth application of lipstick.
- Dry Skin: If you have dry skin, you can apply a mixture of lemon juice extract, honey, and olive oil on your skin to combat dryness and make your skin supple and moisturized.
- Discolored Elbows: Rubbing the lemon rind on the discolored elbows can reduce the dark patches on your elbow.
- Skin Whitening: The citric acid in lemon acts as a natural bleaching agent to lighten and brighten your skin complexion. You can mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with 3 tablespoon water and apply it all over your face and neck. Wash off with cold water after 30 minutes.
- Internal Bleeding: The antiseptic and coagulant properties of lemon can stop internal bleeding such as nosebleeds. All you need to do is apply some lemon juice to a small cotton ball and place it inside your nostril to control bleeding.