Top 10 Health Benefits Of Garlic
Allicin in garlic provides innumerable health benefits which include combating cold and cough, lowering blood pressure, fighting heart ailments, and preventing Alzheimer’s. It also helps relieve earaches, treat intestinal issues, cure wounds, prevent cancer, and relieve excess gas.
Garlic health benefits are plentiful which include reversing heart disease, improving the health of diabetics and also preventing and fighting various forms of cancer. Here are some of the most profound garlic benefits that are supported by studies.
- Prevents Cardiovascular Diseases – Have a clove of raw garlic in the morning before your morning walk or morning run to keep cardiovascular diseases miles away.
- Relieves Intestinal Ailments – An upset stomach or a broken digestive system can hamper your daily life. So, if you are suffering from intestinal problems, you might want to consume garlic. Garlic tends to differentiate between the good and bad gut bacteria in the intestine and has an antibacterial effect on harmful enterobacteria.
- Prevents Thromboembolism – Clotting of blood to prevent excess blood loss is good but not when the blood clots detach and are carried by the bloodstream to other vital organs such as brain, lungs, kidney etc. Indian scientists experimented with garlic. The participants were asked to consume 10 mg raw garlic every day before breakfast for two months.
- Relieves Oxidative stress – As I mentioned earlier, garlic can help relieve oxidative stress. The water soluble organosulfur compounds found in garlic can help prevent DNA damage, reduce inflammation and atherosclerosis risk due to oxidative stress. In fact, garlic can also help prevent heart diseases by nullifying harmful free oxygen radicals.
- Helps Fight Diabetes – Diabetes is a metabolic disorder, mainly caused by unhealthy lifestyle. Scientists at IICT, India fed garlic to lab rats and found a reduction in blood glucose and triglyceride levels and also the rats showed increased insulin sensitivity (25). So, if you are prediabetic or a diabetic, consume garlic to lower glucose levels in the blood and make your body insulin sensitive.
- Treats Asthma And Common Cold – Garlic has been used for ages to treat common cold and asthma. A special mustard garlic oil is massaged near the nose and on throat and lungs area to help treat chest congestion. Now, scientists also have found evidence that garlic can delay the hypersensitivity associated with asthma and also help treat common cold.
- Aids Weight Loss – If you want to lose weight, you must consume garlic. Because garlic actually gets to the root of the weight gain problem. It helps to inhibit the expression of adipogenic tissues, increases thermogenesis, and reduces bad cholesterol.
- Helps Reduce Ear Infections – Garlic has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties and therefore may be effective against ear infections. However, there is no scientific evidence to establish this yet.
- Eczema – Dry, itchy, flaky, rough, and inflamed skin is known as eczema. It is caused due to inflammation triggered by an allergic reaction. Garlic has anti-inflammatory properties and thus believed to be effective against eczema. But there is no solid scientific backing this theory. So, talk to your doctor before consuming garlic to reduce symptoms of eczema.
- Strengthens Immune System – Garlic contains phytonutrients that are antioxidant in nature. Antioxidants flush out toxins and reduce oxidative stress in the body, which prevents you from falling sick or being prone to DNA mutations and disrupted cell functions. Researchers have also found that supplementing with garlic helped increase different types of immune cells in the body.